Wednesday 7 August 2013

WIP after MIA

So I've been missing in action for a while now! Well I've been busy...

And then my baby turned five (five? how did that happen?) She was having a party the weekend after her actual birthday so we had a small 'tea party' at home after school on the day itself. Of course you can't have a party without a cake so at around midnight the night before her birthday this is what I was doing.


And whilst that was in the oven I did some last minute sewing. As I was putting her to bed Anwen was telling me how much she was looking forward to school in the morning. Everyone would sing happy birthday to her, the teachers would give her the bumps and she'd be wearing a badge with '5' on it....A badge! I hadn't bought her a badge!


So this is what sewing at the last minute when you're very tired looks like! At least when she was wearing it no one could see the back.


But the birthday girl loved it and was proud that no one else had worn a special fabric badge!

On the day of her birthday I was working so only had 30 minutes between picking Anwen up from school and our guests arriving to get everything ready. Needless to say I didn't manage it and had to decorate the cake in front of everyone - not one of my best!

Apologies for the awful phone camera shot.
The next weekend she had a 'proper' party where we hired the village hall and had a bouncy castle, glitter tattoos and most importantly pass the parcel (the oldies are the best!) Anwen's best friend has her birthday a fortnight after her and we decided to have a joint birthday party and her friend's mum asked me if I could make the cake. Now I've made all of Anwen's birthday cakes and they've gotten better as she gets older but this wasn't just a cake for my daughter - the pressure was on.

Now I'm a creature of habit, and one of my worst habits is leaving everything till the last minute. The day before the party was really hot and the thought of spending the day in the kitchen with the oven on didn't appeal so I left it until after supper. I'd completely forgotten that my favourite recipe takes 1:30hrs in the oven and that it needs to cool in the tin - I needed two cakes and only had one tin - it was another long night!

Whilst my mum made the sandwiches and some nibbles I got on with decorating the cake and just about managed to get it done in time.

Oh well - I won't leave it so late next year (famous last words)
The next week was the last of Anwen's first year at school. I knew what I wanted to make for the teachers (there are four full time members of staff in Anwen's class and although only one is an actual teacher the others seem to do more of the teaching!) and had planned to make it well in advance. I'd love to show you a picture of my first zip pouch with "Kity Derbyn" (Reception Kitty) embroidered on the front but I came out of my sewing 'room' at 1.00pm on the last day of school and yes, you guessed it, school finished at 1.00pm! I stuffed some money into it, grabbed the sleeping baby and made it to school by 1.10pm (good job we live quite close). I apologised about the wrapping (a carrier bag) and instructed the teachers to enjoy their end of term drink!

Since then I've not managed to get much sewing done. I have quite a few days booked off over the summer and had plans of endless sewing. What I'd forgotten was that I'd still have a five year old to entertain whilst Marged was napping! But now I have a real reason to sew, remember this little stash?


Well 'nephew's quilt' will now go by the name of 'Caleb's quilt'

Isn't he just gorgeous?
Even though I've had the fabric for a few months I just didn't feel like starting the quilt. This changed as soon as I saw him so I've started fussy cutting.

Little cuties for a farmer's son
And it's taking ages..... but I'm determined to get it finished by the end of the month as my cousin also had a little baby boy last week so I need to make him a quilt and my grandmother in law is insisting that I enter something into the village show. Entries have to be unwashed and unworn and as I tend to wash quilts as soon as I get the binding on my only option is enter this one. Entries have to be in by the last Saturday of August. Wish me luck!

Linking up with Shanna and Melissa at A Lovely Year of Finishes and making this my August goal.



And with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

9 comments:

  1. He IS adorable! And I love the fabric badge. She looks so proud to be wearing it.
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The badge is just ideal, no wonder she was so proud of it! You are definitely having some managing by the seat of your pants moments but they are all working out, good luck with the show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered where you had got to! I have the same problems with my DS2 having a birthday in August we ended up having his party on the last day of term. I like the way her badge matches her dress. Looking forward to seeing the baby quilts - lovely baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the badge idea. My niece will be five in October and I think she would like something like this to wear to pre-school that day. I tend to wait til the last minute for things also. I start thinking about them way ahead of time, but then I think I have so much time, and suddenly there it is ... time!

    I love the fabrics you are using for Caleb's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it seems you work well under pressure so I'm sure you'll make a wonderful quilt! The cakes are so cute and that badge is adorable! She looks so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Welsh ancestors! Jonses and Treharnes. I'm quite fond of the Welsh.

    Your patch is awesome! Love that you thought of it last minute and still did it. Perfection not required for mums working hard all night. :) The Hello Kitty cake is quite amazing also! You are one creative mother.

    Adorable new nephew. I have a few on the way myself. I better get sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Necessity is the mother of all invention and that homemade badge is a million times nicer than a shop bought one - Might steal the idea myself next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice party planning! Got a beautiful DIY invitation from my cousin for her daughter's birthday. It was a gala party last week. Liked the event venue decorated with few pretty notes and dance party by kids made the environment livelier. Cake was yummy and snacks were amazingly delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Please leave a comment as they really do brighten up my day. I'm pretty good at replying to comments but if one slips through the net I apologise - I'll try harder next time!